The Kid and I are going to attend Elsie Fest in a few weeks. I’ve been waiting and waiting for Darren Criss to announce this event, which sounds amazing. It’s a music festival for Broadway people. Cabaret in a giant amphitheater on Coney Island, with a biergarten. (Right now, Elsie Fest is run out of LA, which make some sense since that’s where Darren Criss lives, but some day he’s going to need a New York office, and then he’s going to hire me to run it.)
Anyway, when I bought the tickets, I decided we should watch Smash so the Kid and I could get to know something about Megan Hilty, who’s one of the headliners at this year’s Elsie Fest. We are loving it.
There are so many awesome Broadway actors in it:
- Debra Messing (Grace!)
- Christian Borle, who we saw in Something Rotten and Mary Poppins (the guy can tap dance upside down! On the ceiling! For reals, not like Fred Astaire did!)
- Brian d’Arcy James, who we didn’t see in Something Rotten
- The aforementioned Megan Hilty, who is amazing
- Angelica Huston (I refuse to elaborate, on the grounds that she is Angelica Huston and you should know.)
- Leslie Odom, Jr. of Hamilton and last year’s Elsie Fest
And lots of others, but these are the ones I knew about before I started watching. I’m also quickly falling in love with Raza Jaffrey as I watch. Here, you can fall in love with him, too:
Okay, this is the third time I’ve said Darren Criss in this post, but I haven’t once mentioned Glee!